The conference objectives:
- Raise awareness to maintain and further strengthen national nuclear security regimes as well as international cooperation in strengthening nuclear security globally;
- Review the current status of nuclear security efforts, existing approaches and trends, and highlight areas that may need more focused attention including technological dimensions;
- Promote IAEA nuclear security guidance and other international guidelines, and their use by States;
- Promote the sharing of information and good practices in nuclear security whilst protecting sensitive information;
- Reaffirm and support the central role of the IAEA in strengthening the nuclear security framework globally and in leading the coordination of international activities in the field of nuclear security, whilst avoiding duplication and overlap;
- Highlight and promote the IAEA’s efforts and programmes on the nuclear security relevant instruments of the IAEA and the United Nations; and
- Discuss further enhancements of IAEA nuclear security activities and their sustainability.